This is the second page of the Sanders Family virtual photo album.

MARGARET BURFITT (nee EVANS) (1835 - 1923)

Born at Llancarfan in the Vale of Glamorgan in 1835, the daughter of Thomas Evan, Agricultural Labourer, and his wife Ann (nee Morgan). She worked initially as a housemaid to Evan Thomas, Principal Coastguard at Aberthaw, Glamorgan, and then as a barmaid at an Inn run by her relatives the Giles family in Cardiff. There she met and subsequently married George Burfitt, who had been born at Mere in Wiltshire but brought up at Honeymead Farm, Simondsbath, Somerset and then at Wiveliscombe, Somerset, prior to going to sea from Ilfracombe, Devon, and eventually settling in Cardiff. The couple set up in business as greengrocers and fruit merchants in Cardiff, a business they kept for some 50 years. During this time George also owned two Tug Boats which operated from Cardiff and at one time he described himself as a Channel Pilot, ‘though he does not seem to have been licenced as such. In addition he was the last occupier of the very old Roath Mill, Cardiff in the 1890s. Margaret was a staunch Wesleyan Methodist and a member of Loudon Square English Wesleyan Methodist Church. George died in 1906 but Margaret lived on , latterly with her daughter, Alice Crofts, in Port Talbot, Glam., until 1923. She is buried at Cathays Cemetery, Cardiff with her husband and there is a nice Monumental Inscription there.

LILY SANDERS (nee BURFITT) (1877 - 1967)

Gran: Lily Burfitt was born at Cardiff in 1877 daughter of George Burfitt and Margaret (nee Evan) (See above) She was very much the business woman in the family ! She lived to be 90 and was full of life up to a few weeks before her death from pneumonia in 1967.


Uncle Bob: Robert Oliver Burfitt was born in Cardiff in 1873, son of George Burfitt & Margaret (nee Evans) (see photo above) and was named after Robert Oliver Jones, Gent. of Fonmon Castle , Penmark, Glam. - reason unknown. On 5 September 1890 at the age of 17 he was indentured as an apprentice Bristol Channel Pilot to Jonathan Lewis, Pilot. He completed his apprenticeship on 5 September 1894 and obtained a Barry Pilots' License on 6 June 1898. In July 1899 he was owner and master of the pilot cutter "Mystery" of Cardiff engaged in the Barry Pilotage Service. By 1901 he is recorded in the Directory of Cardiff & area as a Channel Pilot living at "Hillbrow", 28 Redbrink Crescent, Barry, Glam. From 1925(earlier records are not available) he was a consistent attendee at meetings of the Barry Pilots. On 6 May 1938 the minutes of the Barry Pilots' Meeting recorded that he was due for retirement and he retired on 30 June 1938.

Go to Page 3